Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 08:26:48 -0700

>> - define a page size + page margins for the document.
>
> IMO, this is more important for printing.  For display, it's enough to
> start with the locale's defaults.

If you're not going to allow them to be changed, you need to not
paginate in the display at all, to avoid misleading the user into making
adjustments that are unnecessary/wrong with their (eventual) print settings.

>> - define styles, apply styles to tags.
>
> Isn't a "style" just another word for a "face"?

No, because it can include things like paragraph indentation and
language choice (for spell check).

> The leading word processors have this feature, so we should have that
> as well.  It doesn't have to be another window, though: we could show
> the meta-data and control codes as part of the text.

This is approximately what WordPerfect does when using "Display Codes".

Davis

shipping.