Re: smerge-ediff "MINE" and "OTHER" monikers unhelpful

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: smerge-ediff "MINE" and "OTHER" monikers unhelpful
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 16:03:19 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Uh what?  The keybindings use a, b, and c.  The only connection to the
>> buffers is via visual arrangement, not via "MINE" and "OTHER.
>
> The ediff bindings, yes, but not the smerge-mode bindings.

Well, it's smerge-ediff that my patch changed, and it's smerge-ediff
that's the subject of this thread, and I checked the whole thread to
make absolutely sure that I have not mentioned anything else (such as
smerge-mode) anywhere.  Indeed, I didn't.

If you feel you should draw smerge-mode into it and solve the basic lack
of information in a different manner, that's commendable.  If not, the
provided patch helps those people who use smerge-ediff for conflict
resolution.  Which may be fewer than the users of smerge-mode.el as a
whole, but more than nobody.

If you feel you want to improve on this, but not now: it's extremely
unlikely that anybody will make programmatic use of the buffer names, so
it's not like this code might create physical dependencies.

It takes up buffer name length (but those are usually truncated anyway
because of their side by side placement), and it takes startup time, but
not likely much.

--
David Kastrup