Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 23:10:18 +0200

> From: Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 22:06:02 +0100
>

> [1:text/plain Hide]
>
> () Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> () Sun, 24 Nov 2013 22:21:37 +0200
>
>    Indeed, faces cannot specify this, but I see no reason why they
>    couldn't be extended to do that as well.
>
> If "faces" (the concept) were to include these extra-character features,
> then their composition would be greatly complicated.

That ship sailed a long time ago: we already have 'line-spacing' text
property.  Indentation and justification are no different.

> It seems more natural to leave "faces" (the concept) as a "leaf"
> feature, IMHO.  For example, if the "style" i want is to have top-level
> headings of a nested list in Courier, sub-headings in Italic, and all
> body text in Times, then i think it would be more natural to specify
> that directly to the style machinery and let it wrangle the faces for
> me, then to specify the faces "Courier, only in top-level list
> headings" and so on, as unique entities, to be applied in a separate
> step to the particular text i'm composing.

This is the source of all evil in Office.  The result is a terrible
mess where the user ends up having no control on what is going on in
her document (except for very short documents).  No, thanks.