Re: add keyword search and display in details for list-packages

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: add keyword search and display in details for list-packages
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 09:20:14 -0500

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 20:49:39 -0500 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> of `make clean; make; make archive-full' didn't refresh
SM> Hmm... elpa/README is outdated: don't "make archive-full".

SM> The way to reproduce what happens on elpa.gnu.org is to run
SM> "admin/update-archive.sh".  IIRC you need to do it like this:

SM>    git clone .../elpa.git
SM>    mkdir build
SM>    cd build
SM>    ln -s ../elpa/{admin,GNUmakefile} .
SM>    admin/update-archive.sh

I got `staging/packages/archive-contents' with the right contents for a
multi-file package (w3) but the single-file package keywords are not
getting generated.  I spent about 2 hours trying to figure out what's
going on, following your instructions (which worked) and debugging
things ad-hoc.  It seems that the presence of the "PACKAGE-pkg.el" file
is causing the keyword evaluation to be skipped as a sort of cache takes
over, but I lost track of the indirection layers and couldn't figure it
out.

If you could commit my patch and test it once, that would be great.  I
believe it will DTRT even though I couldn't test it thoroughly.  Once
that's pushed I can proceed with the keyword-related features for
package.el.

A documented GNU ELPA clean build+stage process would be wonderful; the
previously-discussed package signing stage should also be inserted in
that flow.  Let me know if you want to work on this with me.  I'd do it
myself but after the 2-hour debugging session I just had, I'm not sure I
understand enough of the process to fix it on my own.  Some sort of CI
tool would make sense, though, that much is clear.

Ted