Re: Why bring new features to Emacs and not Emacs to new applications?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Why bring new features to Emacs and not Emacs to new applications?
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 21:12:12 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Isn't this an area where Emacs must change?
>>
>> On the contrary, this is the essence of what an emacs is.
>
> I think we are misunderstanding each other. There are all sort of
> events that must be handled. Isn't there loops inside the keyboard
> handling now? (Or, do I misremember?)

Not really.  There's function like read-from-minibuffer, but they're
called explicitely by the commands that are called when receiving
commands asking for minibuffer input, like M-x =
execute-extended-command.

Also, there's what's called recursive edit, where one command loop calls
another embedded command loop, but since it's just a recursive call, it
wouldn't really qualify as a modal loop.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/