Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 23:15:13 +0200

> From: "Allen S. Rout" <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:42:52 -0500
>
> On 11/23/2013 03:22 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>

> > The layout depends on the medium in very minor ways, as long as we are
> > talking about the "usual" page sizes.  If what you have in mind is A3
> > paper or greeting cards, then the layout is indeed greatly affected,
> > but that's taking the issue to its extreme.
> >
> > IOW, WYSIWYG is much more than just layout.
> >

> I think this is a critical point, and I think that Eli is deeply
> incorrect here.  WYSIWYG is -only- about layout, for the overwhelming
> majority of its users.  I think that's why many of us aren't so fond of it.

Then I guess there are several conflicting ways of interpreting
WYSIWYG.  It's not that I just landed from Mars, or never saw a
WYSIWYG word processor before.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

Of course, the real question is what did Richard have in mind.

> There is no distinction between letter and greeting cards which is not
> present in the comparison between letter and
> letter-with-really-small-margins. Line breaks, kerning, justification
> details... all of this is relevant if we actually want WYSIWYG.

I won't object if Emacs supported writing papers in a WYSIWYGy
fashion, but didn't support greeting cards.