RE: Emacs as word processor / Text Properties

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs as word processor / Text Properties
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 22:03:23 -0800 (PST)

> I will grant Drew's point: I'm sure that the high-end WYSIWYG programs
> do keep a good separation between content (including expressive
> semantics such as "emphasis") and presentation.  But *Office doesn't,
> and won't for a decade, I expect.  And that's our target, not
> Framemaker, because the people we need to exchange documents with use
> *Office.

(They also use HTML and PDF... and mobipocket and epub...)

I thought I saw two goals/targets mentioned - somewhat independent,
if not contradictory:

1. Exchange with other tools/apps like *Office: import/export (save as).

2. Emacs as a clean WYSIWYG editor.

I was speaking mainly to #2: schema-definable structure cohabiting
with WYSIWYG.

I don't see that #1 alone "is our target".  Just one opinion.

I might even suggest not worrying about #1 on its own.  Get #2 right
and import/export will follow, to a large degree.  And to the degree
that *Office documents are incompatible with clean XML/XHTML/whatever,
just say no: don't worry much about it.