Re: What happened to smtp/sasl?

From: Julien Danjou
Subject: Re: What happened to smtp/sasl?
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 16:27:13 +0100

On Fri, Nov 29 2013, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> can you give a bug report or a way to duplicate the issue?  What's in
> your .authinfo file?  What was the last working Emacs version for this?
> What servers (ideally accessible publicly) are you hitting?  I need to
> replicate it somehow.
>
> I don't think I've changed anything that could cause this regression,
> but I just don't know where to begin hunting.

Damn… So I tried to explore the logs to see what happened, and this is
not related to a change recently done.

Actually what happened is that `flim' got installed on my machine, and
its `smtp' package got used instead of `smtpmail' to send my mails.

Why is that, I don't know. I suspect there is some code that hooked up
`smtp' instead of `smtpmail', even if I have
`message-send-mail-function' set to `message-smtpmail-send-it'.

Removing flim -- that I don't even know what it is about nor care --
solved the problem.

Should be pretty easy to reproduce, though not sure it's worth it. I
don't know if it's `smtp.el' that's abusing the system or `message.el'
that's trying to play nice if you got an old package installed.

Sorry for the noise, let's hope that thread may help future Internet
traveller having this problem at some point.

Thanks Ted.

--
Julien Danjou
;; Free Software hacker ; independent consultant