Re: Latest changes with lisp/uni-*.el and leim/quail

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: Latest changes with lisp/uni-*.el and leim/quail
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 22:40:46 +0100

> Look, you've got commit rights, you've chosen to use git, why don't you
> fix these things if they bother you, rather than asking someone else to
> do so?

When I know how to fix something (like in this case), I fix it.  And
that is what I've done.  I just asked someone to commit my patch.  (I
don't think I'm asking too much).

> Oh, because you won't take 30mins to learn how to use bzr (or
> git-bzr, or whatever).

No, the question is not that simple.  The spare time I can afford to
devote to my "programming hobbies" is very scarce.  In that little
time, I try to contribute to and learn a bit of Emacs, while at the
same time get a bit of experience with git (in which I have interest
too).  Currently I don't have time for more.

IOW, currently Emacs is the only project in which I use git, so, if I
used bzr instead (in which I have no interest), I would not have the
opportunity to get experienced with git, and that, IMO, would be
definitely too bad.

> If 200 people each spend 10 seconds reading one
> of your "please commit this for me" messages, that's more than 30mins
> wasted.

That is one point of view, but another one is this:
1. A user that provides feedback/bug reports is valuable, even if he
doesn't submit patches.
2. A user that also submit patches is even more valuable, even if he
doesn't commit them.
3. A user that also commit his patches is even (a little) more valuable.

Currently I'm at level 2.  It's better than nothing, isn't it?

--
Dani Moncayo