Re: New msys-to-w32 breaks using %emacs_dir%, @VER@ in locallisppath

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: New msys-to-w32 breaks using %emacs_dir%, @VER@ in locallisppath
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 17:37:10 +0100

>> The below patch fixes this problem.
>
> Thanks, it works and I've committed it,

Thank you.

> though I still think there's a
> deeper issue. Why should msys-to-w32 worry about directories in
> the load path outside the standard ones?

It doesn't.  It just translates paths.  See below.

> We already discussed this a
> few months ago, and came to the conclusion that non-standard
> directories are the user's responsibility. The fact that I pass
> --enable-locallisppath=C:/mydir to configure does NOT mean that
> C:/mydir should exist at build time.

Agreed.  The directories you specify with --enable-locallisppath don't
have to exist at build time.  That is why, in the "epaths-force-w32"
target, the translation of "${locallisppath}" is done by passing "N"
to the argument MUSTEXIST of the msys-to-w32 script.

> Why should msys-to-w32 complain
> about it?

It complains because it receives a pathlist like this:

  "C:/mydir:<other_path>:<yet_another_path>"

and since the argument SEPARATOR is set to ":", it splits the input pathlist as:

 /mydir
 <other_path>
 <yet_another_path>

And when it tries to translate the first path ("C"), it fails, obviously.

Conclusion: always use MSYS-style paths ("/c/mydir") instead of
windows native paths ("c:/mydir") when specifying paths with
--enable-locallisppath, because the colon ":" will be used as
separator in the path list.

--
Dani Moncayo