Re: participation & contribution [was: Latest changes with lisp/uni-*.el

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: participation & contribution [was: Latest changes with lisp/uni-*.el and leim/quail]
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 13:39:39 +0530

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> To me, the construction "Please ACT." has command overtones, whereas
> the construction "Could you please ACT?" i would take unambiguously as
> a request.

Since we are going Meta...

It is not only felicity with the language alone but also the cultural
and historical baggage.  (I believe this thread is a result of latter
type.)

To me - the baser me - an Occidental "Please and Thanks" is VERY
DIFFERENT from Oriental "Please and Thanks".  So...

Will, the twain meet?