Re: ldap support: eudc and ldap.el

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Re: ldap support: eudc and ldap.el
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 12:23:45 -0500

Hi T.V.,

"T.V. Raman" <address@hidden> writes:

> Is any one successfully using the code from either net/eudc.el or
> net/ldap.el to query ldap databases successfully? It has not
> worked for a long time for me in different environments,

Yes, sort of, but it required major surgery to eudc-expand-inline and
ldap-search-internal.  I made invasive changes to support the following:

1) Completion of either username or full name with one press of TAB in
   message-mode

2) LDAP-SSL (via ldapsearch command line options)

3) Prompting for the password in the minibuffer instead of storing it in
   a config file

4) OpenLDAP 2.4.23

5) Sending the password to ldapsearch via its stdin instead of on the
   command line

6) Integration of both LDAP and BBDB results into one result set

I also found EUDC's configuration system strange; it doesn't make use of
customize, but instead provides its own options file and a mode for
editing a server hotlist.  Wading through that resulted in a bunch of
other variable settings in init.el.

I've got it working to my satisfaction now, but I consider most of the
changes I made hacks.  It would definitely be nice to see EUDC/ldap.el
modernized.

Thomas