Re: Finding packages to enable by default

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Finding packages to enable by default
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 20:32:08 +0000 (UTC)

Stefan Monnier <monnier <at> iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> >> recentf-mode
>
> I see no reason not to enable it, indeed.
>
> >> savehist-mode
> >> saveplace
>
> Actually, for these (as for recentf-mode), I do remember one reason:
> when multiple Emacsen as running at the same time, they all want to
> change the same file(s) and end up stepping on each others's toes.
> So if we want to enable these, we'd first need to address this
> technical issue.

Stepping on each other's toes simply means the later exiting emacs
overwrites the other's history file. Even if it happens (though I
don't think the majority of people runs multiple Emacsen that often)
it's much better than having no history saved at all.

So these packages improve the user experience even without adressing
the above issue first, which may not be an issue at all for most
users who run only a single emacs instance.