RE: Finding packages to enable by default

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Finding packages to enable by default
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 21:16:02 -0800 (PST)

> > As I said, if you enable also `show-paren-mode', then the cursor stays
> > put (AFAICT).  You get the advantages of both: message when needed and
> > highlighting.
>
> No, the difference is that

Hm.  "No" what?  "Difference"?  What are you comparing?

I said nothing about a difference - nothing to correct wrt "the
difference", AFAIK.

> show-paren-mode highlights the other end *all the time*, rather than
> only when inserting the closing paren.

Yes, it does.  And?  Does that contradict what I said?  What I said is
that there is no apparent movement of the cursor - no blinking noticed,
when both are turned on.

1. Some people have said, and I agree, that `show-paren-mode' should be
   on by default: highlight both ends.

2. Others have countered that an advantage of `blink-matching-paren'
   over `show-paren-mode' is that tells you where the other end is,
   when it is off-window.  I agree: `blink-matching-paren' should
   remain on (non-nil) by default.

3. No one (maybe you?) has spoken in favor of the jump-and-blink
   behavior of `blink-matching-paren'.  Some have called it annoying.
   But turning on `show-paren-mode' nullifies this behavior, AFAICT.

Putting 1 & 2 together is what I suggested: (1) highlighting both
ends, from `show-paren-mode', and (2) provide an informative msg when
the other end is off-window, from `blink-matching-paren'.

AFAICT, turning them both on does 1 + 2 without 3 (no jump & blink).

Am I missing something?