Re: Finding packages to enable by default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Finding packages to enable by default
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 10:09:30 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 23:28:00 -0500
> Cc: Andrew Hyatt <address@hidden>, Tom <address@hidden>,
>       emacs-devel <address@hidden>, martin rudalics <address@hidden>,
>       Bozhidar Batsov <address@hidden>, Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
>
> the difference is that show-paren-mode highlights the other end *all
> the time*, rather than only when inserting the closing paren.

Which is a good thing: if you somehow miss the momentary highlight,
you'd need to delete and reinsert the paren to see it again.  When you
edit a complex sexp, you might wish to see the matching parens after
they are already inserted.  show-paren-mode solves this nuisance
(which happens to me all the time when I use "emacs -Q").

Of course, I'm a veteran and devoted user of show-paren-mode.