Re: SHA, MD, and openssl

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: SHA, MD, and openssl
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2013 13:01:40 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> However, isn't it true that openssl has some legal "issues" with
> patents and with its license, and shouldn't we prefer libnettle for
> those reasons?

I'm not aware of any patent issues for SHA or MD5.
As for as license, Emacs is linking against a library
that is normally distributed with the major components of
the operating system, so that part of the GPL applies.

It'd make sense for Emacs to use gnutls, nettle, libgcrypt,
etc. if available and if the performance is good.
This has been suggested on the gnulib list and patches
along those lines would be gratefully accepted.
See, for example:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2013-12/msg00024.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2013-12/msg00026.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2013-12/msg00036.html