Re: Finding packages to enable by default

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Finding packages to enable by default
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2013 23:21:39 +0200

> Speaking of feature freezes and packages -- is there any chance js2-mode
> could become the default JavaScript mode in Emacs?  It's so much better
> than the standard JavaScript mode that it isn't even funny.

Personally, I'd prefer to keep it in ELPA, because Git.

Good news is, since ~18 hours ago, js-mode indentation code has feature
parity with js2-mode (aside from a couple of simplifications).

So when Emacs 24.4 is released, we'll make js2-mode derive from js-mode
and reuse the merged indentation logic. With a compatibility shim for
older Emacsen, I guess.

> It's perhaps the best mode available for Emacs at all, and JavaScript is
> the language du jour, so it seems a pity that it's not used by default.

Installing from ELPA shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

The use of a parser is an opinionated choice, and maybe we should leave
it to users. It's not hard to imagine that js-mode + flymake using
jslint or jshint can be a better fit for some workflows, and I've read
a few opinions stating that.