Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115434: * subr.el (read-passwd): Disable show-p

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115434: * subr.el (read-passwd): Disable show-paren-mode.
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 05:52:21 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 21:36:46 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> >   * subr.el (read-passwd): Disable show-paren-mode.
>
> Should we disable show-paren-mode's highlighting when the paren is
> covered by a `display' property?

It's not just show-paren-mode.  It's any mode that looks at buffer
text disregarding the display properties.

For that reason, I think read-passwd should use a completely different
implementation, because otherwise it will reveal the secrets with the
next random Emacs feature.

As for your question, I believe the answer is YES, we should not
highlight parentheses covered by display properties.