Re: icomplete-mode vs. iswitchb

From: Josh
Subject: Re: icomplete-mode vs. iswitchb
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 21:15:20 -0800

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Stephen Eglen
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> C-. and C-,  (the logic behind those is that , and . are just below <
>> and > in the US keyboard).
>
> For iswitchb/ido users, this is not going to be very intuitive -- would
> you consider also C-s and C-r for those two rotation commands?  I think
> those bindings are more logical, as you are searching forwards (or
> backwards) through the completion list.
>
> Also, the logic behind . and , doesn't help those many people not on a US
> keyboard!

Furthermore, C-. and C-, are not available in ttys.

More importantly however, icomplete's key bindings would be a moot
point in any rational discussion about iswitchb's successor given
the fact that all of the available evidence indicates that users
prefer ido to icomplete by a wide margin, and that to the best of my
knowledge the _only_ argument that has been put forward in icomplete's
favor is Stefan's presumption that the package preferred by the
majority of users could not be configured to behave like the package
preferred by a far smaller minority.