Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115420: Use libcrypto's checksum implementation

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115420: Use libcrypto's checksum implementations if available, for speed.
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 08:39:33 -0500

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 18:50:57 -0800 Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:

PE> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I'm tired of adding more static dependencies to Emacs

PE> OK, I've disabled libcrypto by default, in trunk bzr 115446.
PE> This means Emacs will not use libcrypto unless the person who
PE> runs 'configure' specifically asks for it.

PE> Ripping out all possibility of using libcrypto will take more
PE> work.  I'm not sure a scorched-earth policy like that is
PE> worthwhile but will undertake it if that's the consensus.

The dependency remains in the code even if it's off by default.  I think
Stefan's objection is not to the default or to the licensing but to the
code complexity and growth.  In other words, the policy is not to scorch
the earth but to wait for the spring FFI cleanup :)

But speaking of licensing, what's the rationale for depending on
libcrypto (Apache licensed AFAICT) when, as we've mentioned here, GnuTLS
(through libnettle+libhogweed) offers very similar facilities from a GNU
project?  I'm not against libcrypto at all, to be clear, but I think you
should have an answer to the licensing question because project
decisions (notably the use of Bazaar) have often considered it.

Ted