Re: SHA, MD, and openssl

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: SHA, MD, and openssl
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 10:52:06 -0800

Richard Stallman wrote:
> Does Android include OpenSSL?

Yes; at least, it's in the core source code (I just downloaded it)
and seems to be used in several places.  (I don't normally develop
for Android; I merely did a quick look.)

> What about the Busybox/Linux system used in many embedded devices,
> does that contain OpenSSL?

Busybox itself doesn't have OpenSSL.  Busybox and Linux are
normally combined with other stuff in embedded devices.  I'm
by no means expert in this area, but somewhat-at-random I
looked at Tiny Core Linux <http://www.tinycorelinux.net/>.
It includes OpenSSL in its Tiny Core Extensions package, which
appears to be its only plausible environment that Emacs could run in.

The pattern, I expect, is that if it's reasonable to consider
running Emacs on a GNU/Linux-based platform, these days openssl
is most likely a standard part of that platform.