Re: icomplete-mode vs. iswitchb

From: chad
Subject: Re: icomplete-mode vs. iswitchb
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 09:11:45 -0800

On 12 Dec 2013, at 04:26, Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:

> - Present users with a somewhat complicated behavior in `find-file'
>  case. Off the top of my head, opening a non-existent file with name
>  similar to one existing file is non-intuitive: I don't think we want
>  to force users to look through documentation for that `C-j' binding.

My experience matches this; I've seen multiple people quit using
ido because of this exact behavior (find-file'ing a new file), and
also because of how it opens directories in find-file (i.e. it
doesn't). I believe they ~all liked icomplete.

I would guess that an ido that didn't do this by default is probably
a more attractive default.

I get that many people prefer ido to iswitchb, and I think it'd be
great if emacs provided completion by default. I wonder if any of
the ido fans have tried icomplete? I believe that Stefan's long
term suggestion is that features merge from icomplete, ido, and
emacs' default completion (perhaps stopping by helm and anything
along the way?). Some people seem to be afraid that ido will be
somehow excised, which I don't think is going to happen.

I hope that helps,
~Chad