Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115470: eww: exit and close actions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115470: eww: exit and close actions
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 17:14:28 -0500

> I think `close' and `exit' in the context of a web browser are very
> clear concepts.

But they don't map cleanly to the use of eww, i.e. with Emacs.

> Do you think any users are unfamiliar with web browsers?

I think all users of eww are first and foremost Emacs users rather than
"browser users" (at least for foreseeable future), so they will be
familiar with quit-window and with the notion of killing a buffer,
whereas they won't know (without looking at the code) whether `close'
actually kills the buffer, or deletes the window, or both, or whether
it's eww-exit which does it, and in which cases.

> Or do you want to give Emacs-specific names to these concepts?

Your commands don't really do what they do in a web-browser.  I guess in
some case, depending on how you look at it, and how you configured your
display-buffer-alist and your dedicated windows, and how you started
ewww, etc... they may occasionally behave similarly to Firefox's "close"
and "exit" (tho it also depends on the window-manager in which you run
firefox).  But in the general case they don't.

SM> I'm not sure how (setq eww-history nil) fits in there, because I don't
SM> know why it's there, so I can't comment on how best to go about it in
SM> this respect.
> It ensures that the browsing history is erased,

That part was clear, the question is why do it here rather than elsewhere.

> which `kill-buffer' may not do.

Why not?  If the variable is buffer-local, kill-buffer will do it, and
if the variable is global, then we have a problem since it's then shared
between all eww buffers, right?

        Stefan