Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115470: eww: exit and close actions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115470: eww: exit and close actions
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:06:41 -0500

> Web browsing is a separate UI domain from the other UI domains Emacs
> covers.  The UI for navigation, input, and even scrolling is different.
> It's most like an Info file but there are fundamental differences (no
> clear hierarchy, interactive, etc.)  So my idea was to make web browsing
> in Emacs more like web browsing outside Emacs, and I thought my changes
> were a step in that direction.

I view it as trying to lie to the user ;-)

> The idea was to separate "close" from "exit" even if the current
> implementation doesn't do it perfectly, because tha separation is
> typical in the "web browsing" UI domain.

AFAIK "close" should mean "close the current tab", and "exit" should
mean "exit the application, closing all tabs and killing the process".

Some of the problems I see in the context of eww:
- eww doesn't have tabs.
- eww-exit doesn't exit the application.
- eww-exit does not close all the eww buffers/tabs/windows you might
  have opened in the current Emacs session.
- eww can display a web page multiple times in different windows, so the
  meaning of "close the tab" is unclear.

I really see it as trying to put a square peg in a round hole.
And I really don't see the benefit since eww users will be familiar with
Emacs anyway, so it's not like we'd impose them some new concepts they
shouldn't need to know.

        Stefan