Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 05:52:48 -0500

    It is a structured document. Some people would choose to _view_ it as an
    outline.

MY document is text with a title, containing some lists with bullet
points.

Apparently your file is a structured document, which Org mode shows
_by default_ as an outline.

So they are considerably different.

Maybe some people would choose to view my document as an outline.  Who
knows?  It makes no sense, but if someone really wants to do it, I
will not object.

But showing my document as an outline by default is a bug.
It should appear as text with a title.  Tnat's how OpenOffice
shows it.

If you suggest representing my document as a certain file,
but Org mode's default handing of that file is to display an outline,
it follows that that file in Org mode doesn't properly represent my document.

Maybe some other different file in Org mode would properly represent
my document.

If not, maybe Org mode could use a change so that some file
would properly represent my document.

     Others would choose to view as a block of pretty text,

Org mode did not tell me how to choose anything but the outline.
Maybe there is a way to do it, but it did not tell me.

Anyway, if the document is meant to be text with a title,
it should be saved as a file which will appear, by default,
as text with a title.

    Most importantly, it is an error to decide that this new use for the org
    toolset is, all of a sudden, The Correct Interpretation Of Documents.

You lost me there.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation