Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 12:48:56 +0100

Richard Stallman writes:
> Is it the case that Org mode applies one single policy to all documents,
> and the user can choose which policy that is?

Like many modes, there is a default policy which is controlled by the
custom variable org-startup-folded in this case.  The default can be
overruled on a per-file basis by either adding KEYWORDS to the file
(#+STARTUP: showeverything) or visibility PROPERTIES to a (sub-)tree.

> If so, maybe it should not do so.  Maybe the state of folding should be
> saved in the file, so that when the file is read in again,
> it will be folded or unfolded the same as when it was viewed before.

In the absence of such information it has to fall back on the default,
however.

> Or maybe the default should be "Initially totally unfolded".

A mode derived from Org would perhaps need to chose different defaults,
but for Org the default of folding the outline is appropriate.

> Or maybe text documents should be distinguished from outlines.
> An outline could be initially displayed folded, and a text document
> could be initially displayed unfolded.

To Org everything is an outline, it doesn't make a distinction between
outline and text.

To me it seems the discussion about Org has somehow drifted from the
original request in this thread.  Org has been mentioned as a format
that Emacs already understands and can produce different output formats
from.  It is not, in its current form, intended to do WYSIWYG editing
even though it might arguably form the basis for such a mode.  Even
then, some of the things that people often do with WYSIWYG are even
difficult to map to Org's syntax, which is geared towards making the
common things easy without introducing a lot of clutter.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: