Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 16:06:41 -0500

    > If so, maybe it should not do so.  Maybe the state of folding should be
    > saved in the file, so that when the file is read in again,
    > it will be folded or unfolded the same as when it was viewed before.

    In the absence of such information it has to fall back on the default,
    however.

    > Or maybe the default should be "Initially totally unfolded".

    A mode derived from Org would perhaps need to chose different defaults,
    but for Org the default of folding the outline is appropriate.

For outlines, the default might be appropriate.
It follows that Org mode, as such, is not right for documents such as this.

Telling the users, "Customize Org mode yourself" is unhelpful.

Providing a derived mode with different defaults might be helpful.

    To me it seems the discussion about Org has somehow drifted from the
    original request in this thread.  Org has been mentioned as a format
    that Emacs already understands and can produce different output formats
    from.  It is not, in its current form, intended to do WYSIWYG editing
    even though it might arguably form the basis for such a mode.

I agree.  I'm considering Org mode as a way to edit formatted documents,
which might be better than Text mode even though not WYSIWYG.

But it needs minor changes to be good for this purpose.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation