Re: Problems with --enable-gcc-warnings

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Problems with --enable-gcc-warnings
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 18:17:49 +0200

> Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 20:13:59 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> The 'configure'-time code already does the latter, or tries to --
> > Can you point to that code, please?
>
> The source is in m4/warnings.m4 and m4/manywarnings.m4.

Sorry, I thought there was something else.

The reason these tests don't really do the job is clear from
config.log:

  configure:8072: checking whether C compiler handles -Wenum-compare
  configure:8091: gcc -std=gnu99 -o conftest -O0 -g3  -Wenum-compare
-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1  conftest.c  >&5
  cc1: warning: command line option "-Wenum-compare" is valid for C++/ObjC++
but not for C
  configure:8091: $? = 0
  configure:8102: result: yes

IOW, the test expects the compiler to fail, but warnings don't fail
until you add -Werror to the game.

So perhaps the test should use -Werror as well, to ensure such
warnings fail the compilation of test programs.