Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 08:28:42 +0100

> For outlines, the default might be appropriate.
> It follows that Org mode, as such, is not right for documents such as this.

As Achim explained, a document like this one is displayed with all its
parts completely visible:

#+STARTUP: showeverything

* A section

Some text.

> Telling the users, "Customize Org mode yourself" is unhelpful.

This is not about customizing Org mode.

This is about specifying *within* your document whether it should be
read as a text or as an outline.

Org mode is primarily used as a tool to manage lists of tasks, with
notes possibly attached to the tasks.  In this case, displaying the
document as an outline is useful.

Org mode is also used as a tool to write documents.

If this is your use case and if you don't want people to see
the document as an outline, inserting #+STARTUP: showeverything
at the beginning of it is the way to go.

> But it needs minor changes to be good for this purpose.

I guess users would find the default folding behavior more useful
than a default "showeverything" behavior -- but I might be wrong.

If you have other ideas on how to improve Org mode, please share.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien