Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 19:41:32 +0200

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 16:03:39 +0900
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,
>       EMACS development team <address@hidden>
>
> Conceded that there's demand.  I would argue that ac-mode is not good
> enough for Emacs, because it's menu-based.

It's not menu-based.  It _emulates_ a menu by using an overlay
(AFAIU).

> I assume from hints on the page you linked that selection algorithm
> "learns" over time, but the menu presented in the screenshot there
> is full of junk that almost certainly is undesired.  By contrast,
> the trivial heuristic "it's in a buffer somewhere in this Emacs
> instance" with in-place expansion iterating over candidates with
> repeated invocations (dabbrev) is more accurate, less obtrusive, and
> more Emacs-y IMHO (YMMV, of course).  And quite fast, even with
> several dozen buffers.

Is this discussion about how to compute the candidates, or how to
display them and let the user browse them and select one?  I though
the latter was the issue at hand, in which case the algorithms used
to compute the candidates are not part of that issue.

Apologies if I'm mistaken: I didn't read everything in this thread.