The next releases

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: The next releases
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 13:09:46 -0500

> (A 2 year-old archived bug about Mac keyboards isn't the best place for
> this discussion, but I'm not going to bother to move it.)

Oops, indeed, thanks for staying alert.

>> I wanted to bring this up to 2 releases per year, but noone had the
>> energy to take care of the release management
> That's not how I recall it.  IIRC, you wanted to freeze 24.4 ~ six weeks
> after 24.3 was released.  This would have left very little time for
> people who had been concentrating on the release to develop any new
> features.

I might indeed be looking at the past through those funny lenses.

>> BTW: since we're about to freeze and start a new pretest phase, we're
>> looking for a volunteer to take care of rolling the pretests.
> Oh, are you?

Very much so, yes.

> I would have been happy to do it again.  But I see Chong Yidong is
> back (yay!), so if he wants to do it; or if someone else wants to have
> a go, it's fine by me.

Not sure if Yidong is volunteering, but in any case I'm very happy to
see him back as well.

But to tell you the truth, I'd welcome newer blood to roll
the pretests.

>> Also, we'd welcome some help to update the manuals (most urgently, to
>> integrate all the changes mentioned in NEWS into the manuals).
> That, of course, is the hard part.  Traditionally this large burden has
> fallen on a tiny number of people.  If suddenly lots of people are going
> to start doing this, of course you can crank out more frequent releases.

I wish I knew the magic recipe to get people working on it.

        Stefan