Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 13:44:39 -0500

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 19:30:17 +0200 Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:

DG> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
SM> Indeed, I do hope to bring something like company-mode into Emacs, maybe
SM> even making it into the default in-buffer completion UI.
SM> But the UI based on *Completions* is likely to stick around for a long
SM> time, so it's important to integrate the two at some level.
>>
>> I see company-mode and others as hacks to get around the lack of a true
>> completion popup.  I really think `widget-choose' is the direction we
>> should be going in graphical mode, and if *Completions* stays it should
>> be only in text-mode.

DG> You seem to be conflating company-mode with its overlay-based popup
DG> feature, which is a small part of it.

Sorry, I don't mean to diminish the rest of the company-mode code.  I
meant specifically the part of it relevant to the discussion here.

DG> Why don't you start with implementing a programmable graphical popup
DG> that can display a list of options near any position in Emacs's window,
DG> that completion engines can integrate with without losing the advantages
DG> of the current behavior?

Because I don't want, after spending the time and effort, to be told it
wasn't the desired direction.  That truly sucks.  I'm choosing, instead,
to ask Stefan to state that direction explicitly.

I also don't have good toolkit knowledge like some of the other Emacs
contributors, but that's not fatal.  Finally, this is a big task and I'd
probably start by making a team of developers who are willing to assign
copyright, interested in improving the current situation, implementing
the desired solution, testing it, integrating it with helm,
company-mode, etc.  So ideally I'd get people like you and the other
popup-autocomplete-helm-company-like developers on board.

Ted