How to update the copyright notice?

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: How to update the copyright notice?
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 22:30:56 +0800

The year 2014 is coming, and I'd love to help update the copyright
notices in the repo, like the one committed by Paul[fn:1].

First, I found the `set-copyright' function in admin/admin.el, which can
update the copyright notices for these files:

  configure.ac
  etc/refcards/emacsver.tex
  etc/refcards/ru-refcard.tex
  lib-src/rcs2log
  msdos/sed2v2.inp
  nt/config.nt

The copyright strings for these files are simply "Copyright (C) 2013
Free Software Foundation, Inc." and they do not contain year ranges (not
sure whether they are the only ones that don't contain a year range).
`set-copyright' works well on these files, but I'd like to perform this
action "globally".

>From admin/notes/years, I knew that maintaining copyright years is now
very simple: every time a new year rolls around, add that year to every
FSF (and AIST) copyright notice.  Do we have a such script/function that
can do this job?  If not, IMHO we need a function that can change all
"2013"s to "2014", recursively, except for:

a) All ChangeLog files;
b) New files created this year, since we need to change the single year
   to a year range
c) The years processed by `set-copyright', since they don't contain year
   ranges;
d) Something like
   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/.*/\([[:digit:]]\)-[[:digit:]]/.*html
   often appears in the comment or main body of a file

Then manually check if there are any "2013" being replaced improperly
(see Makefile.in in the root of repo for example), fix them, and
commit.  Any ideas?

Footnotes:

[fn:1]
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=6aef6b19675b70f1786b16782c277b375257e640