Re: I can't commit a simple change

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: I can't commit a simple change
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 14:32:48 -0500

Paul Eggert wrote:

> It might be helpful to have two repositories: the first would omit
> autogenerated files, and the second would contain all files that can
> be generated automatically and portably. Human reviewers could look
> only at the former, and people who want to build quickly from the
> repository could use the latter.

Sorry, IMO this is not a helpful idea.
(Does any other project do anything like this?)

Anyone who finds building the info files a chore should simply install
makeinfo 4.13 in /usr/local, and move on with their life, as I did.

There are loads and loads of ways to get prebuilt versions of the Emacs
trunk if you don't have the resources to build it yourself.

Eg http://hydra.nixos.org/build/7323550, "source distribution" link,
updated in theory on every commit.

Please let's not reintroduce complexity that we spent some time
removing, all for the sake of what is clearly a misunderstanding on
rms's part (the .info files have never been in the repo. All that was
there was info/dir.)