Re: I can't commit a simple change

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: I can't commit a simple change
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 12:32:52 +0900

Lars Ingebrigtsen writes:

 > It may be a non-trivial thing to do ("if you've 'bzr update'-ed past
 > revision 322522, then 'rm -r info'" as the first thing in the build
 > process), but if this were possible, all these recurring queries in this
 > area would go away.

The right incantation is "rm `bzr ls --unknown`; bzr revert" before
merging.  But if that actually makes any changes to your tree, it's
destroying data that *you* put there[1].  Neither Bazaar nor Make
should do that automatically.

 > And it would be really helpful for us less than regular committers.
 > It feels like every time I'm committing something after not having
 > done anything for a few weeks, I have to spend five minutes rm-ing
 > stuff and hoping that I'm not ruining anything the next commit.

You're always at risk of ruining something with the next commit.  If
you can't safely use the cleanup incantation above to minimize that
risk with minimum effort and time, it's because your workspace has
acquired "cruft" irrelevant to that commit.  Use either shelve or
pipeline to organize the cruft so that the VCS can track your work.

Footnotes:
[1]  Unless somebody forgot to commit the rebuilt Info along with the
changed Texi, which is a practical reason why getting those files out
of the repo is the RightThang.