Re: I can't commit a simple change

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: I can't commit a simple change
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 22:15:47 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 20:51:22 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Remove them how?  The build process is too late: the conflict is
> > reported when you "bzr update" which is _before_ the build.
>
> I've only encountered these problems when I'm checking stuff in.

That's because you don't pay attention to what "bzr up" tells you:

  Conflict: can't delete info because it is not empty.  Not deleting.
  1 conflicts encountered.

People who do pay attention are confused right there and then, before
they even try to build.

Besides, even if we do postpone the removal to build time, how do you
suggest doing this in practice?  Adding this to Makefile.in is
problematic, since it will thereafter remove those files again and
again, after the user did the build, until the removal commands are
deleted from Makefile.in.  And how to know when to delete them?  I
don't see how this can be workable.