Re: Cannot generate web manuals

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Cannot generate web manuals
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 06:53:09 +0100

() Xue Fuqiao <address@hidden>
() Sun, 29 Dec 2013 12:04:59 +0800

   Maybe we should wrap it with something like
   `with-demoted-errors', or remove the erroneous `search-forward' line in
   `manual-html-fix-headers'.  Should I file a bug report?

Any fix that concerns only the ‘search-forward’ expression is not
desirable; we must not think of the code as absolutely wrong, but
instead, in what cases is it right and in what cases is it wrong.
To do that, we need to understand its function and its context.

It looks like the purpose of the fragment:

 (search-forward "<meta http-equiv=\"Content-Style")
 (setq opoint (match-beginning 0))
 (search-forward "</head>")
 (delete-region opoint (match-beginning 0))

is to delete that ‘meta’ element, so the best fix would be to not bother
trying to delete it if it's already not there.  Why haul water if there
is no fire?

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502