Re: Cannot generate web manuals

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Cannot generate web manuals
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 15:13:51 -0500

Xue Fuqiao wrote:

> with `make-manuals' in admin/admin.el, but met an error. I've attached
> the backtrace.
>
> I invoked this command without using prefix argument (which means to
> generate all kinds of manuals: HTML, PDF, and PostScript). The error
> occurred when generating the "emacs-node" manual (which is the first
> step).

It works fine for me with makeinfo 4.13. Perhaps something is different
in makeinfo 5.

> Should I file a bug report?

Depends if you want someone to fix it at some point, or if you just want
a chat.

> BTW perhaps we should use something like `make-progress-reporter' to
> report the progress of this function, since it'll take a long time.

Why bother? It's obvious when it's working.

> I'll also start to work on generating PDF and PostScript versions of
> doc/misc manuals as requested by Jambunathan K[fn:1] later.

I would not bother if I were you. To date we intentionally only provide
the main manuals in non-html formats. It is a pain to keep multiple
formats up-to-date, for little benefit IMO.

> I also have a question here: `manual-html-mono' does not generate the
> manual for lispref.  How was
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/elisp.html generated?

Using M-x make-manuals. I don't know why you think it doesn't make
html_mono/elisp.html.