Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Barry OReilly
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 15:35:07 -0500

Stefan:
> Ah, right, the conflict is in the meaning of the TAB key.
> There are two issues there:
> 1- the fact that there's no standard way to *extend* the meaning of
>    TAB, so autocomplete and yasnippet may both *redefine* the key instead.
> 2- even if the two manage to redefine TAB "at the same time", the
>    resulting behavior may prove too DWIMish.

Stefan:
> Yes.  We should make it easier to extend indent-for-tab-command.

It would be good to clarify whether the fallback mechanism should be
for the key sequence or the command. That is: should calling the
command via M-x cause the fallback behavior?

I suspect what these commands want is to indicate that the search in
active keymaps should continue. The problem with using the command's
return is that determining whether to fall back risks side effects.
key-binding and other functions might require no side effects. A
possible idea is to allow the interactive spec to specify Lisp code
that evaluates to whether to fall back or not. It would probably make
sense to pass that non nil result to the command as an argument if it
is called. If nil, then the search through active keymaps would
continue.