Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.

From: Rüdiger Sonderfeld
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 10:35:39 +0100

On Friday 03 January 2014 10:17:00 Bastien wrote:
> > Another question is, whether we still want to write ChangeLogs manually,
> > or whether we want to extract them from commit comments. That's not such
> > easy, see all the "fix typo" comments.
>
> I'm all for writing them manually, it's a useful exercise.
>
> IMHO git commit messages should reproduce ChangeLogs, not the
> other way around.

Generating them from commit messages would do exactly that.  Right now most
people copy all or at least parts of the ChangeLog entry to the commit message
anyway.  I agree that the format is useful and I absolutely agree that the
commit message should not necessarily only be a copy of the ChangeLog entry.

But those points are not really an obstacle or argument against auto-
generation of the ChangeLog _files_ from the commit messages

Regards,
Rüdiger