Re: Strange file names in old revisions of bzr repository

From: Andreas Schwab
Subject: Re: Strange file names in old revisions of bzr repository
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 11:13:49 +0100

Ulrich Mueller <address@hidden> writes:

> I noticed some time ago that in old revisions of the repository there
> are many files whose names start with a = sign. For example:
> http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/emacs/trunk/files/20000/lisp/
>
> Are these artefacts of a previous conversion between VCSs? Any chance
> to get rid of them when moving to git?

They are artefacts of the pre-CVS era.  Since RCS doesn't have the
concept of a multi-file repository, the method to "remove" files was to
rename them with the = prefix to preserve history.  They were finally
removed for real after the move to savannah.

To get rid of them properly would require finding out the real point in
time when the files were supposed to be removed.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, address@hidden