Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 16:32:46 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> git.cmd can be used from the command line.
>
> Did you actually try that, for real?  git.cmd sets PATH to include
> git's binaries, which include MSYS DLL.  This means you cannot use in
> the same session any commands that might conflict.  E.g., consider
> what would happen if you invoke git.cmd from a Makefile, or the other
> way around.  I tried that, and got stuck and crashing programs.  No,
> thanks.

git.cmd is not meant to permanently set any variable. It is invoked from
a shell as

`git <args>'

Whatever environment variables it sets are effective only until the
command finishes, and for that sole command.

As previously mentioned, there is no git.cmd anymore but a git.exe that
knows where the other commands are located.

>> > No, but some git commands need Bash and shell scripts, and thus invoke
>> > MSYS programs that do need the MSYS DLL.
>>
>> You don't need MSYS on the PATH, so whatever those commands use is an
>> interal implementation detail.
>
> No, it isn't.  When MSYS DLL is loaded, any other program that is
> linked to that DLL will try to use it -- and will fail if it needs an
> incompatible version of that DLL.  Therefore, you can't invoke, say,
> the MSYS 'make' from the Git Bash shell, or from any Git command.

Are you sure about this? Windows allows multiple DLLs with the same
names and every application will load one of them as per the effective
environment when the application is launched. So if you don't put
MSYSGit binary directory on the PATH, its existence shouldn't make a
difference for the rest of the system. A different history is if you
invoke an MSYS (or Cygwin) executable from MSYSGit, or vice-versa, but
that is an improbable scenario (please keep in mind that git.exe is not
a MSYS binary, so invoking it from Cygwin/MSYS shouldn't be problematic,
at least for the usual git commands.)