Re: Apologia for bzr

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Apologia for bzr
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 22:10:19 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Tassilo Horn <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
>> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 17:57:19 +0100
>>
>> So the man pages could be better, but there are tons of additional
>> resources you can consult that are easy to find and probably better to
>> grasp.
>
> I guess we should stop investing so much effort in the Emacs manuals,
> then -- there's so much resources out there, let the users look for
> them instead.

That's not what I was saying.  Clearly, precise, up-to-date and
comprehensible first-party documentation is preferrable over third-party
documentation.  No doubt about that.

But given its large user base, git has the luxury that many people are
willing to support it by writing additional docs.  For example, the Git
Book is maintained and updated as a community effort (and completely
translated into 10 different languages with 19 more on-going translation
efforts).  Although it's not part of the official documentation, it's
still up-to-date and comprehensible for a much larger audience than the
official docs which are precise but not too comprehensible, especially
for newbie.

Anyway, I think we can safely stop this subthread.  I got your point,
and I guess you got mine.

Bye,
Tassilo