Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 22:38:35 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> IIUC you invoked MSYS `make' from MSYSGit `bash'. As I said multiple
>> times, that's not expected to work.
>
> Right, and that's why I keep the two segregated.  That was all I was
> saying from day one: it's a PITA to have two similar, but incompatible
> environments.  E.g., I cannot build a package from the same shell
> where I "git pull" it.

As already mentioned, you can `git pull' on a MSYS shell, so it is false
that you can't `make' on the same shell that you did the `pull'
operation.

>> No, you didn't. As git.exe does not depend on MSYS.dll, the problems you
>> experienced with `make' shouldn't happen. And, indeed, invoking MSYSGit
>> git.exe from a MSYS terminal worked fine for the commands I mentioned
>> above.
>
> Until that git.exe invokes a sub-command that needs Bash or Perl, and
> will then invoke its own Bash pr Perl that need an incompatible
> msys.dll (and other DLLs, like libiconv).

Curiously enough, `git pull' seems to be a Perl script (the executables
and scripts are on Git/libexec/git-core.) But it works from MSYS, hence
somehow the problem is not so serious.

I suggest that for the time being we stop worrying about what unkown
problems might be lurking and wait for something concrete to
materialize.