Re: bzr is dying; Emacs needs to move

From: Samuel Bronson
Subject: Re: bzr is dying; Emacs needs to move
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 02:14:04 +0000 (UTC)

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn <at> gnu.org> writes:

> 512M RAM is not enough to achieve the tantalizingly compact footprint
> that "git gc --aggressive" purports.  I'm a stubborn fool and will find

I'm given to understand that "git gc --aggressive" does not actually pack
things more efficiently in practice, and is thus a waste of time, memory,
*and* disk space.

See
http://metalinguist.wordpress.com/2007/12/06/the-woes-of-git-gc-aggressive-and-how-git-deltas-work/

Also note Linus' suggestion to use "git repack" instead, perhaps with more
aggressive options than the defaults.