Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 22:39:00 -0500

>> I suspect that :exit-function is "enough", tho it might require some
>> ugly unreliable hacks to get at the needed data.  Please try it out and
>> M-x report-emacs-bug requesting the extra features/data to be able to
>> "do it right".
> I still don't see how, if by "enough" you mean enough to emulate the
> current Predictive functionality without effectively bypassing the
> `completion-at-point' mechanism and running Predictive/Completion-UI code
> instead.

I don't know enough about Predictive to be able to
answer.  :exit-function is called when the completion ends and gives
access to the choice made by the user, so it is sufficient to provide
some kind of feedback about which was the right choice.  But there might
indeed be issues about exactly when the :exit-function is called, for
example, or how/when the choices are presented.

> `completion-at-point' is designed around "tab-completion", and
> that just isn't a good match for predictive completion (or a popup.el
> style UI, for that matter).

completion-at-point-functions is largely designed for the purpose of
completion-at-point, but it is not restricted to that; so do not confuse
the two.

        Stefan