Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 13:49:13 +0100

Bastien writes:
> How would we handle fixing in such generated logs?

The same way we do today if we only care about the Changelog file.
Otherwise, we'd have to come up with something using Git notes (as
already mentioned earlier in this thread).

> By revising the git history through rebasing?

Nope.

> Not a rhetorical question, just curious, as I do have a
> problem with the current way Org generates its ChangeLogs.

For the benefit of other participants in this discussion you might
mention that Org doesn't have a ChangeLog and the only reason we
generate one is that when changes are imported into Emacs there is
suddenly a need to document that merge (typically produced by ~1000
commits from Org) in Emacs' ChangeLog.  Since that operation throws away
all history from Org, it also means you can't use the commit messages
directly for the ChangeLog, no matter how hard you'd wish you could.
That wouldn't necessarily be a problem in Emacs' case where the
correspondence between commit and ChangeLog would be 1:1.

Regards,
Achim.