Re: Prefer Mercurial instead of git

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Prefer Mercurial instead of git
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 19:37:25 +0100

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 2014-01-04 at 17:08 +0100, Sebastian Wiesner wrote:
>
>> For reference, a little grepping in the recipes of MELPA
>> (http://melpa.milkbox.net/) reveals a similar bias towards Git:
>>
>> $ grep ':fetcher hg' * | wc -l
>> 31
>> $ grep ':fetcher git' * | grep -v github | wc -l
>> 29
>> $ grep ':fetcher github' * | wc -l
>> 1186
>
> This looks like a bias towards github, not git. And this is a problem,
> not something to be praised.

For reference, Jordi's blog:

<URL:http://jordi.inversethought.com/blog/enough-git/>

The starting paragraph should make clear why he is determined not to
listen to any experience or talking point from anybody regarding git:

    When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for a
    software user to disparage a thoroughly hostile DVCS, there is no
    recourse but to blog about it. Thus, software diplomacy has failed,
    and we must face the fact that I irredeemably hate git. To prove
    this, let these facts be submitted to a candid world.

I don't see that we have much to gain from indulging in his mission of
hate here.

--
David Kastrup