CUA mode???

From: Joshua Judson Rosen
Subject: CUA mode???
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 14:39:03 -0500

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Tom <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >>
> >> Beginners may face a high complexity and different terms (and
> >> keyboard shortcuts) for rather familiar commands makes it much more
> >> difficult.The difference might seem small, but since it raises
> >> complexity for beginners it waists time for them.
> >
> > Kill/yank comes to mind as obvious example. The copy/cut/paste
> > terminology is pretty much standard, so the various kill/yank
> > operations (kill-region, copy-region-as-kill, etc.) should
> > be mapped to these terms.
>
> The problem I see with that is that the terms are mnemonics for the
> keybindings: the kill bindings contain "k", the yank bindings "y".

"copY" and... "Kut" (with a "K" for extra hardness because it's a
destructive operation?)?

Also, didn't cua-mode already `fix' this:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/CUA-Bindings.html

Though that brings me to something that's been bugging me since someone
first told me (last year) that cua-mode had actually gone into emacs:
my recollection from the early 1990s was that the CUA keystrokes for
cut, copy, and paste were *not* C-x, C-c, and C-v; but rather
S-delete, C-insert, and S-insert (respectively). These were the
keystrokes that I remember using in Windows at the time, and
what I've also been using in Emacs and other applications in X11
since about that time, and even what I used in applications on
Mac OS X when I needed to use it just a couple of years ago.

Wikipedia seems to agree with my memory rather than what's in the Emacs
manual:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_User_Access

Did the CUA spec actually change to use C-x, C-c, C-v at some point, or
is Emacs cua-mode mistaken about which standard it's implementing?

--
"'tis an ill wind that blows no minds."