Re: bzr is dying; Emacs needs to move

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: bzr is dying; Emacs needs to move
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 08:11:28 +0100

() Samuel Bronson <address@hidden>
() Sat, 4 Jan 2014 02:14:04 +0000 (UTC)

   I'm given to understand that "git gc --aggressive" does not actually
   pack things more efficiently in practice, and is thus a waste of
   time, memory, *and* disk space.  See [URL]

IIUC, the criticism w/ "git gc --aggressive" is that it inhibits the
normal incremental (reusing deltas) operation of the underlying repack,
and thus counter-indicated for day-to-day (post init phase) use.

Since i'm still in the init phase, "git gc --aggressive" is fine, in
principle.  (It's the practice, w/ old computer, that's the problem!)

   Also note Linus' suggestion to use "git repack" instead, perhaps with
   more aggressive options than the defaults.

Yes, this did the trick.  Some observations:

 First attempt -- 3h 10m, 1.5G
 $ git repack -a -d -f

 Second attempt -- 11h 55m, 559M
 $ git repack -a -d -f --window=250 --depth=250 --window-memory=200m

Actually, i report only those attempts that completed.  The others
either died or i interrupted out of annoyance w/ swap-disk-grunting.

559M is not optimal, but i (and old computer :-D) can live w/ it.

Next steps:

- Sanity check.  In the repo, i see HEAD is 6f7f591e (2013-12-07)
  w/ title (and entirety of commit message) "Mention bug 16049.".

  Could someone please confirm this exists in their git-bzr repo?

- Investigate "no safeguard against rewriting upstream bzr repo history":
  <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-12/msg00098.html>.

  I'd like to determine if the "doesn't work" part lies in bzrlib or
  in git-remote-bzr.  I suspect the latter, since there is no call
  to ‘die’ in that code.  Hmmm, time to snapshot the (relatively)
  svelte repo and see what damage a tweaked git-remote-bzr can do,
  i suppose...

"But ttn, why not just wait for Emacs to move to Git?"  Well, i've
waited many years and that was a suffering.  Playing w/ git-bzr is
another.  Life is such.

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502